Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tai Chi

As many of you may know, I recently started taking Tai Chi lessons. It is something that I've wanted to do for a long time and I finally decided to just do it and make the finances work around it. It is a decision that I am happy with thus far. The facility is clean and the employees are friendly. I have been made to feel like a member of the team from everyone and that is important. The teacher (herein referenced to as "Shifu") is an honest to goodness Shaolin fighting monk from China and is incredible. I have also been given the go ahead for volunteering in their front office and I'm excited by this prospect. Let's hope it turns out well!

I chose Tai Chi and Qi Gong (both are taught in this class) because it begins with becoming more aware of myself internally and deals with Chi/energy. Since I've started taking Tai Chi, I apparently sound "well fucked" after my lessons. This has been said by several people that don't even know each other and I have to admit it makes me giggle, but there is a truth in those words. After I've had a class/lesson, I feel more relaxed and centered. I feel calm and in some ways almost giddy. I consider this a very good thing. I just wish I had someone to go with me, that I could share this with.

There have been several times when Shifu has told us something in class regarding energy, about how it works and how we should gain control of it and allow it to flow properly throughout our bodies. Each time he does, it almost catches me by surprise because it reflects what I have felt to be true. The difference here is that I finally have an experienced teacher showing me HOW TO DO IT. This makes me so very happy. I know there is sooo much to learn and that I can't rush it. Doing this just FEELS right. It resonates through every bone and if I could, I'd go to every class that's offered.

For a long time, I have wavered, almost floating on a sea of religion, taking in one, rolling it around in my head and then discarding it because it didn't feel right or whatever the case was that would cause me to decide it wasn't a good fit. Here, I almost feel like I've got the beginnings of something that fits with how I feel internally that the world works. I may have to tweak it a bit to encompass other things but I'm only just beginning on this journey. I only know that had I closed this door before it had really been opened, I would always have wondered. At least now I can see it through and see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment