Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Emotions and their role in a poly relationship

Being in poly relationships can be very tough emotionally. You aren't just opening yourself to one person, but multiple people. For me, it can be very beneficial because when I'm feeling down, I don't just have just one person wanting to know how I'm feeling and what is causing me to feel down, I have several. Each person honestly wants to know what is wrong (if anything is) and how they can make things better. When something good happens, everyone else is happy with me.

The reason M'Lady's group works so well is because we all care about each other. Not everyone in the group is romantically involved. That part doesn't matter. What matters is that we care about each other because we care about her. And in caring for each other, there is a trust and respect, even love, that we have for each other. Times aren't always easy. If they were, then it wouldn't be real. But at the same time, we earnestly wish to help each other and make things better as best we can.

In becoming a part of the group, I have had to share more feelings than I have had to do in a long time. I have more sounding boards for when I'm not certain about something. When I'm nervous or scared, excited or angry. And I love each and every person in this group for the support they give me and the care they show for me. I don't know that I can accurately express my gratitude for each and every one of them. And for M'Lady.

And now that I've gone all sappy and mushy, the bottom line is that in being poly, you can provide yourself with so much more support. I honestly can't imagine being monogamous and only having one focal point for the amount of support I need. (and this is were some people call me a greedy little bleep LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment