Sunday, May 29, 2011

Self Care as a Form of Service

When someone thinks of performing a service to/for their dominant, self care isn't usually the highest on the list. Things such as cooking, cleaning the house or as Jukebox has said in another post, driving. I've spoken with people and read posts where people talked about their acts of service being to take whatever their dominant could throw at them in scene. What they don't talk about is how bathing every day, or brushing their teeth can be an act of service to their dominant.

It is important to me that I keep myself pleasing to the senses as well as performing to the best of my abilities. This means bathing every day to ensure there is no build up of unpleasantness (i.e. B.O., oily hair, etc...). It means brushing my teeth and doing the other necessary things to keep my teeth as healthy as I can, so that I have a nice smile. It means taking care to pick clothing that is appealing. Not being a "slouch" or lazy in what you wear in public and being cognizant of how others perceive you. It doesn't mean you have to take it to extremes to prove your appearance is pleasing, unless that is the agreement you have set with your dominant. I don't have any regulations of my appearance, per se, with the exception that I am not allowed to cut my hair (aside from trimming to keep it neat). What I do comes from my own perception of the things I know please not just M'Lady, but other important figures in my life as well.

Self care isn't just appearance. It also lends itself to the subject of keeping oneself healthy. Keeping yourself clean certainly contributes to that, but it's not the only factor involved in the equation. It means taking the medicines or vitamins the doctor has instructed you to take. It means looking into treatment for your health issues, if you aren't already being treated for them. It means being happy with yourself because when you are happy with who YOU are, you are more likely to be able to please others. If you aren't feeling well, how do you expect to be able to carry out the other tasks that please your dominant? Currently I am undergoing treatment for my TMJ not only because it will make me healthier in the long run, but because it also pleases everyone that cares for me. I am also losing weight so that I can be both healthier and happier with myself. I'm not doing it because I was told I had to. I am doing it as my own personal act of service to everyone I care for and myself.

There are so many facets of self care. It may be that you need to take time, be it a few minutes or an hour, to yourself to relax and clear the stress from your system so that you can be better prepared for anything life might decide to throw your way. Or if you are sick, it might be to take the time down to rest and recuperate. People forget that they need down time because society today is so minute driven and everything has to be done NOW. Sometimes you need to clear your head of the worries of time constraints and let yourself float for a bit (sensing any hypnosis influences here? LOL). That too can be considered self care. And it's all done to please others because taking care of yourself means you'll be in their life longer and you'll be happier while doing it.

I say all of this to say that what an act of service may mean something entirely different, person to person or relationship to relationship. Sometimes it is the simple things that can have the most meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment