Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Seven Things That Cross My Mind A Lot

Disclaimer: Anyone who ever thought I was a tremendously deep thinker is about to be utterly disabused of that particular notion. :) Although I will say that for obvious reasons, I'm leaving politics off this list. Anytime anyone starts talking politics, it quickly becomes difficult to discuss anything else. That said, and in no particular order (except for number one)...

7. Politics. Okay, I won't leave it completely off the list, but I won't say what they are. All I will say is that they cross my mind at least once a day, and that it's hard to get my mind off of them once it's on the topic. It is frustrating to me to think that there are people who "don't care about politics", given that every aspect of your daily life is decided by the men and women in Washington. Even the decision to keep their nose out of something is still a decision that affects you.

6. Writing. A lot of each day is spent either writing, scheduling writing, lamenting lack of time for writing, or (yes, I'm egotistical) being proud of writing I've done. (Or ashamed. I'm also a perfectionist.) I think about the process, I come up with ideas, I jot things down...it's a big part of my life and it always will be.

5. City of Heroes. Yes, shallow. But it's a lot of fun to play, and it's an outlet for my creativity that doesn't come out in my writings. It's a nice, mellow fantasy where all you have to do is keep doing things and you can't help but make progress, and all you need to do to make money is beat people up. What's not to enjoy?

4. Comics. Specifically, the fact that DC and Marvel have both lost their direction as companies. As children's publishers, they sold millions of copies. When they gave up on kids to pursue an adult audience, millions turned into tens of thousands. Why they continue to market to a demographic that isn't into their product, while ignoring a huge audience that consumes their movies, cartoons and merchandise, is a topic of perpetual discussion in my head.

3. Work. I try not to talk too much about my job, because hello, kink blog, but it's interesting in a way that you really wouldn't expect if I just told you what I did for a living. You'd be surprised to find out how many weird things happen in what sounds like a very dull industry that I won't name, and I'm perpetually amazed at the things my job throws at me each day.

2. Star Wars. I try to insist I'm not a big fan, but that's almost a part of why I think about it more than Doctor Who (which I unquestioningly adore...) I'm always trying to deconstruct the films in my head, look at new angles from which to think about them. It's the kind of game you can't play with something you really love, because you're too reverent to really tear into them. But Star Wars is good enough that I'm interested, while not being so good that I'm afraid to think about what's wrong with it.

1. I really, really, really love my Goddess.

No comments:

Post a Comment