Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Six Things I Wish I'd Never Done

6. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have stuck my finger into that bear's mouth. (On the other hand, I do have to admit that it's pretty damned awesome that I can start a conversation about regrets with the sentence, "Looking back, I probably shouldn't have stuck my finger into that bear's mouth.")

5. Kept my mouth shut about the behavior of another player on a MUSH I was once on. He absolutely ruined a TP I had started by not showing up at the last minute for a key scene, and then claimed it was because I'd railroaded him into the plot without his permission. I had logs showing the opposite, but I never showed them to anyone because I thought it would be better not to cause a huge flamewar. Instead, the flamewar happened later over something else, and I wound up having a lot less fun MUSHing after that. Wasn't worth backing down over.

4. Oddly enough, I shouldn't have been so helpful at my last job. There were people there who took advantage of my good nature, and once I stopped doing their work as well as my own, my bosses finally took notice that the problem wasn't, "Boy, he seems really cranky all the time," but instead was, "Wow, we have a total waste of space working in this department who also manages to be a total asshole."

3. I probably shouldn't have dropped out of college. It's a decision I can still change my mind on, of course, and I do only have one class left to get my degree, but I think I should have gutted out that class at the time. My responsibilities have only made it harder to finish things.

2. I shouldn't have started one of the book projects I did. I know they say, "Never regret the things you did, only the things you didn't do," but I spent a lot of money on research materials and never did get anything saleable out of it. In retrospect, I probably would have made a bigger profit if I'd never started the damn thing. :)

1. I really wish I hadn't spent so much time away from Lady Ru'etha. We spent about five years as "just friends" because I somehow thought I was doing Her a kindness by not telling Her how much I missed Her and loved Her and cared about Her. Looking back, it was nothing but stupid, and the happiest day of my life was when we got back together again. No, that's not quite right. The happiest days of my life began when we got back together again. And while I'm too happy to regret anything very much, this is one of the few things I would change if I could do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment