Sunday, October 23, 2011

Seven Things That Cross My Mind Often

Worries:
  1. The end of cheap and plentiful energy. "Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow... but soon, and for the rest of your life."
    • I work air traffic; there won't be any. What else can I learn to do with the time I have?
    • How will I keep a home warm? Will there still be asthma inhalers & stomach acid meds? What am I gonna EAT? Dear gods, what will I do when nobody's importing COFFEE?!
    • What do I need to consume less of now, to buy more time to adapt?
    • The idea of being isolated away from my family is scary (especially in some of the places I've lived!); how can I retain the ability to make one last trip to rejoin them if I need to?
    • I'm not one of these end-of-the-world survivalists, I don't want to stockpile and hoard to last a little while. I want to use this time to get ready to produce things I need, in a way I can sustain for a long time.
  2. How can I balance my work and family life? Barring the above, work will provide me with health coverage and a survivable retirement, but it keeps me so far from my family. (There may be progress on this in the near future, and it's been on my mind a LOT in the last 48hr)
  3. How will I make sure I stay healthy enough for any of the long-term worries to matter?
  4. Where did I put my _____? I just saw it a minute/hour/day/week ago.
Joys:
  1. I have an awesome wife who loves me, and I want to be worthy of that.
  2. Watching my daughter develop is so damn cool.
  3. Space? Space! SPAAAACE! Also science.

No comments:

Post a Comment